New Product News
From Microcosm Aquarium Explorer
EcoTech Marine Introduces Next Generation VorTech at InterZoo
VorTech Propeller MP20 Pump
The inability to create surging, powerful, non-laminar water flows in the reef aquarium has long been a challenge to aquarists trying to keep healthy corals and current-loving fishes. The VorTech MP40W propeller pump changed all that, but at a price and with enough power to send water rolling out of average home aquariums.
The long-awaited introduction of a new, downscaled (more affordable) VorTech propeller pump came at the annual InterZoo trade show in Nürnberg, Germany, this spring.
The MP20 from EcoTech Marine is suited for aquariums in the 20 to 70-gallon range, while placing the motor outside the tank, a design that the company says "preserves the beauty of your aquarium and enhances the health of your tank’s ecosystem."
According to EcoTech, the unit is expected to be released during the summer of 2008 and be priced at approximately $300.
The VorTech MP40W is also being upgraded, with details outlined below.
According to information released by EcoTech Marine:
With all the electrical components outside the aquarium and a variety of easy-to-program modes, the VorTech is the safest, most versatile pump on the market. And, if your tank needs to grow, the MP20 can be upgraded to the MP40w—providing you wireless communication between your pumps and even more functionality and flow.
Feed Mode - Slows down your pump for 10 minutes to allow you to feed your aquarium.
Constant Speed Mode - The pump runs at a constant speed you set based on your aquarium’s specific needs.
Reef Crest Mode - Simulate the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment.
Lagoon Mode - Simulate a calmer, lagoon reef environment.
Optional Battery Backup - Keeps the circulation going during power failure for up to 30 hours.
Flow: 500-2000 gallons per hour
Power Consumption: 6-18 watts
Maximum Motor Temperature: 50-60 degrees Celsius
Aquarium Wall Thickness Range: 3/16"-3/4"
Appropriate Tank Size Range: 20-70 gallons
Dimensions: Wet Side- 3" diameter by 2.25" long, Dry Side- 3" diameter by 2.25" long
Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3"
Upgrades to Original VorTech Model
“Over the past year we have been listening to our valued customers, talking with our retailers, monitoring the market and are delighted to announce the VorTech MP40w Gen2,” said Tim Marks, EcoTech director of production. “As innovators in the reef aquarium industry, we strive to continually enhance our products, and Gen2 will once again raise the bar for the industry.”
The MP40w Gen2 features a new magnet, high performance plastic drive shaft screw, and revised wet frame cover. The new magnet is fully encapsulated within black plastic, cannot be scratched or damaged under normal use, is more durable, eliminates rusting and requires no regularly scheduled replacements.
New features for the MP40w Gen 2 include:
- A new Long Pulse Mode allows for wave pulse timings of between 2 and 60 seconds, enabling the creation of slow alternating flow throughout the tank.
- A new Night Mode enables the pump to operate for 14 hours in whichever mode is selected for the day and go back to Night Mode for 10 hours. Master pumps will tell their slaves to go into Night Mode as well.
- Pump Disconnect feature that automatically shuts down the pump if the dry and wet sides become separated.
Enhancements to Existing Modes
- Feed Mode has been slowed from 1000gph to 500gph to make it easier than ever to spot feed corals and slow moving fish with the push of a button.
- A modified range of adjustment for Short Pulse Mode makes it easier to fine tune wave form.
- A novel save function for Pulse Mode enables users to save their wave settings, providing an even higher level of customization.
- A more sporadic Reef Crest Mode for both single pump systems and multi pump systems enables more pronounced speed changes constantly throughout the day.
- A more sporadic Lagoon Mode for both single pump systems and multi pump systems provides enhanced variability to better simulate a lagoon environment.
In addition, the Generation 2 is backwards compatible with all VorTech pumps. “We are always working to upgrade and improve upon our products and we will continue to do so,” Marks said from Nürnberg. “As we have done in the past, we strive to make all upgrades backwards compatible at nominal costs so that our customers are able to have the latest and greatest EcoTech products in their aquariums.”
Generation 2 magnet upgrade kits can be purchased directly from EcoTech Marine for $9.45 plus shipping by calling 610.954.8480 then dialing for service, or emailing email@example.com.
EcoTech will start shipping magnet upgrade kits late next week. Customers that purchase a first generation VorTech MP40w after May 23 can contact EcoTech at firstname.lastname@example.org and include a scanned copy of their sales receipt and completed warranty registration card and EcoTech will waive the $9.45 charge. Customer will only pay for shipping.