James M. Lawrence
From Microcosm Aquarium Explorer
James M. Lawrence
1997 - Present Editor & Publisher
Founder of special-interest publishing company producing best-selling books and calendars in the areas of natural history, marine aquarium husbandry, and coral reef ecology.
2002 - 2006 Founder, Editor & Publisher EatingWell Magazine, EatingWell Books
Founder of a national consumer magazine dedicated to food and health, with ancillary products including trade cookbooks, website, e-newsletters, calendars and other brand-extension products.
1991 - 1997 Publisher & President
Chapters Publishing Ltd.
Founder of special-interest publishing company producing books on cooking, health, gardening, country living, nature and children’s literature. Winners of various awards, including the James Beard Award and Julia Child Award for Excellence in Cookbook Publishing. Company sold in 1997 to Houghton Mifflin.
1976 -1991 Group Publisher (Editor-in-Chief)
Camden House Publishing Inc.
Founder of four award-winning national print magazines in the United States and Canada and of two affiliated book-publishing companies, from initial concept through editorial development, business planning, and launch. Businesses acquired by Telemedia Communications Ltd. (Canada) and Telemedia Communications (USA) Inc.
- Harrowsmith Magazine (Canada)
- Equinox Magazine (Canada)
- Harrowsmith Country Life (United States)
- EatingWell Magazine (United States)
- Camden House Books (Canada & US)
1974-1976 Reporter / Op-Ed Editor
The Whig-Standard, Kingston, Ontario Reporter for Canada’s oldest daily newspaper, moving from police reporting to editing Op-Ed Page and investigative journalism
Syracuse Alumni News Won silver medal for most-improved alumni magazine in national competition.
1970 - 1972 Peace Corps Volunteer
1972 Master of Arts Magazine Journalism
Received Frank E. Gannett Award as Outstanding Graduate Student in Print Journalism.
1969 - 1970 Graduate studies at Cornell University in veterinary medicine, tropical agriculture, communication arts. Omega Tau Sigma National Veterinary Honorary Society.
1969 Bachelor of Science
Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University Honor Roll. Designated Cornell Scholar to Royal College of Agriculture of Sweden, Uppsala.
Honors & Boards
- James Beard Foundation Award for Food Journalism; and for Book Editing.
- National Magazine Awards of Canada/Grand Prix de Magazines Canadienne: Gold Awards for Outstanding Achievement, Magazine of Year Awards for Harrowsmith and Equinox; various other North American awards for writing, art direction, editing and publishing excellence.
- Former Chairman and Advisor (1988-2008): Vermont Life Board of Advisors. (Award-winning travel & culture magazine published by the State of Vermont.)
- Current President: The Charlotte News, Inc. (Non-profit community paper, Charlotte, VT)
- Former Chairman, Council of Canadian Magazines, Toronto.
- Former member of board, National Magazine Awards, Canada.
- Former Guest Lecturer: S.I. Newhouse School of Journalism, Syracuse University; Magazine Publishing Congress; Folio: Conferences; International Regional Magazine Association.