The 101 Best Tropical Fishes
From Microcosm Aquarium Explorer
List price: $18.95
Publisher: T.F.H. Publications, Inc.
Series: Adventurous Aquarist™ Guide
Year published: 2007
A Field Guide to Freshwater Exotic Aquarium Species
• Expert Advice on Selecting Great Fishes for Your Home Aquarium
•Easy-to-Use Keys to Sizes and Behaviors
•Must-know Feeding & Keeping Tips
•33 Species to Avoid
TROPICAL SPECIES PROFILER:
7 Questions to ask before buying a fish
1. How large does it get? When it reaches adulthood, will it fit into the tank you intend to set up?
2. How aggressive is it? What sort of tankmates might it harm?
3. What does it eat? Does it have specific dietary requirements that will be difficult to meet or does it have a generalized diet?
4. Is it piscivorous (a fish eater) or will it graze on the prize plants you want to keep or devour your ornamental shrimp or other invertebrates?
5. What are its habitat preferences? Is it a fish that demands lots of space? Does it have any special aquascaping requirements?
6. Is it susceptible to disease?
7. Is it considered easy or difficult to keep? Do you have the skills (and resources) to be sure it has a chance to thrive?
Kathleen Wood is the former editor of CORAL Magazine and former editor of Aquarium Fish Magazine and Aquarium Frontiers Online. She lives in Laguna Beach, CA.